A Message Trace can be used to trace emails through Exchange Online, based on defined criteria (for example: email address, date range, delivery status, or message ID). To generate an Office 365 extended message trace, follow steps below:
- Log in to Office 365 Admin Center
- Select Exchange under Admin centers
- In the Exchange admin center select mail flow.
- Under mail flow select message trace.
- Set the Date range to Custom.
- Set an appropriate date range for the message you need to trace (this must be greater than seven days).
Note: The date range must be greater than seven days to enable an extended message trace. You will see the following options appear once the date range has been set correctly:
- Check the Include message events and routing details with report option.
- You should fine tune the report to avoid having too many results in the detailed message trace - the larger the report, the longer it takes to process, and the harder it becomes to identify the message in question. To help reduce the number of results:
- If you have the Message ID (which can be found in the message header) this is the best option - only one message will be found when using the Message ID.
- Alternatively you can add the sender or recipient, and select the message direction inbound/outbound.